Connect with us

News

Supreme Court Of US Allows The Release Of Trump’s Tax Returns

Published

on

Supreme Court Of US Allows The Release Of Trump's Tax Returns

Donald Trump suffered a major setback on Monday in his long quest to conceal details of his finances as the U.S. Supreme Court paved the way for a New York City prosecutor to obtain the former president’s tax returns and other financial records as part of a criminal investigation.

The justices without comment rebuffed Trump’s request to put on hold an Oct. 7 lower court ruling directing the Republican businessman-turned-politician’s longtime accounting firm, Mazars USA, to comply with a subpoena to turn over the materials to a grand jury convened by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, a Democrat.

“The work continues,” Vance said in a statement issued after the court’s action.

Vance had previously said in a letter to Trump’s lawyers that his office would be free to immediately enforce the subpoena if the justices rejected Trump’s request.

A lawyer for Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority included three Trump appointees, had already ruled once in the dispute, last July rejecting Trump’s broad argument that he was immune from criminal probes as a sitting president.

Unlike all other recent U.S. presidents, Trump refused during his four years in office to make his tax returns public. The data could provide details on his wealth and the activities of his family real-estate company, the Trump Organization.

Trump, who left office on Jan. 20 after being defeated in his Nov. 3 re-election bid by Democrat Joe Biden, continues to face an array of legal issues concerning his personal and business conduct.

Vance issued a subpoena to Mazars in August 2019 seeking Trump’s corporate and personal tax returns from 2011 to 2018. Trump’s lawyers sued to block the subpoena, arguing that as a sitting president, Trump had absolute immunity from state criminal investigations.

The Supreme Court in its July ruling rejected those arguments but said Trump could raise other objections to the subpoena. Trump’s lawyers then argued before lower courts that the subpoena was overly broad and amounted to political harassment, but U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero in August and the New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in October rejected those claims.

Vance’s investigation, which began more than two years ago, had focused on hush money payments that the then-president’s former lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen made before the 2016 election to two women – adult-film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal – who said they had sexual encounters with Trump.

“The Supreme Court has now proclaimed that no one is above the law. Trump will, for the first time, have to take responsibility for his own dirty deeds,” Cohen said in a statement issued after the Supreme Court announced its action.

The court on Monday separately turned away Daniels’ bid to revive her own defamation lawsuit against Trump.

In recent court filings, Vance has suggested that the probe is now broader and could focus on potential bank, tax and insurance fraud, as well as falsification of business records.

In separate litigation, the Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives was seeking to enforce subpoenas on similar records. The Supreme Court in July sent that matter back to lower courts for further review.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

ADV
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Domelevo To Hold ‘Retirement’ Thanksgiving Service After Akufo Addo Forced Him To Retire

Published

on

Domelevo To Hold ‘Retirement’ Thanksgiving Service On Wednesday

Former Auditor General Daniel Domelevo will arrange a thank-you service on Wednesday, 10 March 2021 to mark the end of his term at the Auditor General’s Office.

Daniel Domelevo was forced to retire by the President of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, after leaving for 167 days.

The President stated in a letter that his records indicated that he was due to retire in June 2020 and therefore thanked him for his services to the government.

Mr. Dumelevo will arrange service of thanksgiving to Christ, the King Catholic Church, to mark the end of the age and its service to the land.

The ceremony, which will take place at 4:00 p.m., will see family and friends celebrating the man responsible for fighting corrupt government officials.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

ADV
Continue Reading

News

Dumsor Is Back: Kumasi In Dumsor For Solid 8 Hours

Published

on

According to the aggrieved residents, it’s better to have a timetable for the power rationing if ‘dumsor’ is back.

Many communities across the Ashanti Region with Kumasi as it’s capital have been facing unannounced interruption of their power supply.

This has led to several complaints against Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), who have in turn blamed Gridco for the situation.

“This is the same way dumsor started in Mahama’s administration so I’m convinced dumsor is back,” an angry tailor in Kumasi told Utimate FM.

“All that I need now is a time table so I can plan my life. I’m tired of ECG’s lies and blame game on Gridco.”

Meanwhile, other residents in Kumasi have also called for a load-shedding so that they can plan ahead.

Source: wwww.GhanaCNN.com

ADV
Continue Reading

News

GRIDCo explains Sunday’s nationwide power shutdown

Published

on

GRIDCo explains Sunday's nationwide power shutdown

The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) has confirmed that the nationwide power outage on Sunday [March 7, 2021] was caused by a power system challenge.
In a statement, the company said its technical team is working to restore power to all Bulk Supply Points (BSPs) across the country.

“We are still working to determine the reasons for the complete device shutdown and will inform the related stakeholders in due course,” the company added.

On Sunday afternoon, about 2:10 p.m., there was a nationwide power outage. Many people took to social media to express their outrage at the unannounced power outage. Following GRIDCo’s announcement, power has been restored in several parts of the world.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

ADV
Continue Reading

Trending