The 25-year-old was originally suspended in February for 12 months by Uefa, European football’s governing body.
Onana was found to have the banned substance furosemide in his urine after an ‘out of competition’ check on 30 October last year.
He explained after that he had accidentally taken a pill containing the substance after mistaking his wife’s medicine for aspirin, and had asked for the ban to be overturned rather than reduced.
“The CAS panel… found that no ‘significant fault’ could be attributed to Andre Onana, who had ingested medication destined for another person in error,” the court said in a statement.
“On that basis, the panel considered that a nine-month ban was proportionate to the negligence committed and reduced the suspension by three months, but could not accept the goalkeeper’s request for the removal of the suspension entirely.”
The CAS decision means the ban will now end on 4 November so he will miss the start of the season for Dutch champions Ajax but will be available for Cameroon when they host the Africa Cup of Nations in January.
He will also miss the Indomitable Lions opening four matches of group qualifying for the 2022 World Cup – in September, against Malawi and Ivory Coast, and October, when they play back-to-back games against Mozambique.
While he will not be allowed to play nationally or internationally until 4 November, he can resume training two months before the end of the suspension, on 4 September.
His case was heard and on 2 June and Ajax’s managing director Edwin van der Sar said the appeal was worth it.
“With this ruling from the CAS, we have an extra three months [with Onana available] compared to the original suspension,” he told the Ajax website.
“So the step to the CAS was not in vain. We stand for a clean sport. But I repeat that we are convinced that Andre took this drug accidentally and certainly not to perform better.
“Last week when we told Andre and the lawyers our story at CAS, I drove away with a good feeling. I have mixed feelings about today’s statement because our goal was for him to be back on track from this summer.”
I Will Not Renew My Contract – Kylian Mbappe Breaks Silence
Kylian Mbappe’s future plans are well known to Mauricio Pochettino. PSG’s coach has been informed that the Frenchman will not be renewing his contract with the club.
The French international has an open door at Real Madrid. And, in reality, Real Madrid is the team most interested in luring Mbappe away from Parc des Princes.
Mbappe arrived early at the Paris Saint-Germain training camp. This does not, however, imply that he wishes to extend his contract; rather, he wishes to be in good shape for the start of the season.
Pochettino and Mbappe met after Mbappe’s arrival. And it was there that the Paris Saint-Germain player stated unequivocally that any offers from his current club would be turned down.
Meanwhile, PSG planned to make him a multi-million dollar contract extension offer. If he had accepted, they would have offered him a five-year contract worth 32 million euros per season. According to ‘AS’ and ‘Marca,’ Mbappé has said “no” and is considering a move to Real Madrid.
Although his entourage advised him to pursue the matter with Paris Saint-Germain, the player declined, and it is unclear whether he will arrive at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2021 or 2022.
If Kylian Mbappe decides to leave Paris Saint-Germain, he will be free to do so in 2022, which the Parisian club does not want to know about.
Japan Finally Deports Ugandan Athlete Who Escaped Travelling Back Home
Julius Ssekitoleko is currently being held at Uganda police headquarters to determine whether or not he had committed a crime, CID Spokesperson Charles Twino said.
He left the camp a week ago and was later found by the authorities buying a railway ticket.
Ssekitoleko’s mother, pregnant wife, and government officials who had travelled to Uganda’s Entebbe airport to meet him on Friday morning did not get an opportunity to greet him on arrival.
In a statement, the ministry of foreign affairs said the athlete was being “rehabilitated”.
It said the government would “help him understand how such acts of misconduct cannot only affect him as an athlete but also other athletes in the sports sector and the nation at large”.
When he disappeared, Ssekitoleko had left a note saying he wanted to stay in Japan and work.
Ugandan Athlete Goes Missing In Japan Olympic Games, Leaves Note Saying Life In Uganda Is Like ‘Hell’
A Ugandan athlete who has gone missing in Tokyo ahead of the Olympic Games had left a note saying his life in the African country was too difficult and he wanted to work in Japan, officials have said.
Julius Ssekitoleko, a 20-year-old weightlifter, failed to qualify for the Games after his arrival in Japan and was due to fly back to Uganda on July 20.
But he was last seen at a local station near his delegation’s hotel in Izumisano at 6:30 a.m. on Friday. The athlete purchased a Shinkansen bullet train ticket to Nagoya, about 200 kilometres away, an Izumisano official told CNN.
In the note, Ssekitoleko said he did not want to return to Uganda and asked the members of his delegation to send his belongings back to his wife, the Izumisano official added.
City officials first feared he was missing around midday on Friday when they noticed that a Covid-19 test sample had not been submitted by Ssekitoleko, city official Osamu Mizoguchi said.
Local police have been looking for him without success, Mizoguchi added.
Ssekitoleko competed in the Men’s 56kg weightlifting final at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, aged just 17. He finished 10th in that contest.
Two Ugandan athletes, and others from Rwanda and Cameroon, previously went missing during those games, which were held in Gold Coast, Australia, PA Media reported at the time.
And two rugby sevens players from Uganda, who went missing after competing in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, were later revealed to have claimed asylum and were playing for a rugby team in Cardiff, the BBC reported in 2015.
The Ugandan delegation was among the first teams to arrive in Japan for the delayed Tokyo Olympics. The team started training in the western Japanese city on July 7 after completing a mandatory quarantine.
On their arrival in late June, a member of the delegation was found to be positive for the Delta variant.
The opening ceremony of the Games is set for Friday, but events in the host city will not have spectators with Tokyo in a state of emergency over Covid-19.
Features7 months ago
Good News:All Government Workers To Receive A 25% Salary Increment By January 2021
Politics6 months ago
Politics Was The Last Thing I Ever Dreamed Of – Muntaka confesses
News5 months ago
Newspaper Front Pages Wednesday, 24th February 2021
Entertainment5 months ago
Entertainment Prefect Of A Popular Nursing Training College Arrested Over Twerking Competition For 1st Years
Entertainment7 months ago
Ghana CNN Exclusive: Kumawood and Ghallywood Best Movies of 2021
Sports7 months ago
Legon Cities’ Striker ‘Baby Jet’ Asamoah Gyan Injured
Sports7 months ago
Robert Lewandowski and Lucy Bronze Crowned Best FIFA Footballer Award Winners
Politics7 months ago
“Are You Sensible…?” – NPP’s Abronye DC Heavily Blast Ghanaians For Voting ‘Skirt and Blouse’