Connect with us

Sports

Ugandan Athlete Goes Missing In Japan Olympic Games, Leaves Note Saying Life In Uganda Is Like ‘Hell’

Published

on

Japan Finally Deports Ugandan Athlete Who Escaped Travelling Back Home

A Ugandan athlete who has gone missing in Tokyo ahead of the Olympic Games had left a note saying his life in the African country was too difficult and he wanted to work in Japan, officials have said.

Julius Ssekitoleko, a 20-year-old weightlifter, failed to qualify for the Games after his arrival in Japan and was due to fly back to Uganda on July 20.

But he was last seen at a local station near his delegation’s hotel in Izumisano at 6:30 a.m. on Friday. The athlete purchased a Shinkansen bullet train ticket to Nagoya, about 200 kilometres away, an Izumisano official told CNN.

In the note, Ssekitoleko said he did not want to return to Uganda and asked the members of his delegation to send his belongings back to his wife, the Izumisano official added.

City officials first feared he was missing around midday on Friday when they noticed that a Covid-19 test sample had not been submitted by Ssekitoleko, city official Osamu Mizoguchi said.

Local police have been looking for him without success, Mizoguchi added.

Ssekitoleko competed in the Men’s 56kg weightlifting final at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, aged just 17. He finished 10th in that contest.

Two Ugandan athletes, and others from Rwanda and Cameroon, previously went missing during those games, which were held in Gold Coast, Australia, PA Media reported at the time.

And two rugby sevens players from Uganda, who went missing after competing in the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, were later revealed to have claimed asylum and were playing for a rugby team in Cardiff, the BBC reported in 2015.

The Ugandan delegation was among the first teams to arrive in Japan for the delayed Tokyo Olympics. The team started training in the western Japanese city on July 7 after completing a mandatory quarantine.

On their arrival in late June, a member of the delegation was found to be positive for the Delta variant.

The opening ceremony of the Games is set for Friday, but events in the host city will not have spectators with Tokyo in a state of emergency over Covid-19.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

‘Baby Jet’ Asamoah Gyan Threatens To Sue Blogger Over Fake News

Published

on

'Baby Jet' Asamoah Gyan Threatens To Sue Blogger Over Fake Quotes

‘Baby Jet’ Asamoah Gyan Threatens To Sue Blogger Over Fake News

Former Sunderland striker Asamoah Gyan has threatened to sue a Ghanaian blogger for publishing fake quotes linked to him.

The blogger at the centre of the issue, which has got Gyan trending on Twitter, Thosecalledcelebs shared fake quotes made up a parody account.

The parody account using Asamoah Gyan’s name tweeted about the Ghana legend’s infamous penalty miss at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

“I intentionally missed the penalty because of my ex…I wanted to break her heart” the fake Asamoah Gyan on Twitter tweeted.

The blogger without checking started sharing the fake quotes and that has got Asamoah Gyan, who now plays his club football in Ghana for Legon Cities, angry.

‘Those called Celeb! pull this useless story linked to me down and retract with an apology with immediate effect, if you fail to do that within the next 3hrs, you will hear from my lawyers. This abuse in social media must stop 🛑My account is verified on Twitter… your work as a journalist involves due diligence,” Asamoah Gyan captioned a screenshot of the post on his Instagram.

In 2010, Gyan missed a penalty kick in the quarter-final of the 2010 FIFA World Cup against Uruguay. The miss cost Ghana and Africa a first semi-final appearance at the global showpiece.

“Till today, any time alone, it still haunts me. Sometimes I feel like the world should go back again so I can redeem myself, but I know this is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life. I accept that because there is nothing I can do about it. I went there to save my country, but I ended up being the villain, which I accept because I know how people feel,” the 34-year old told TV3 Ghana in an interview in April 2010.

Gyan is gunning for a place in Ghana’s squad for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Cameroon.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Continue Reading

Sports

#Sack CK Akonnor – Ghanaians Roar On Social Media After Shameful Defeat To South Africa

Published

on

#Sack CK Akonnor – Ghanaians Roar On Social Media After Shameful Defeat To South Africa

#Sack CK Akonnor – Ghanaians Roar On Social Media After Shameful Defeat To South Africa

Ghanaians are demanding the immediate sacking of Black Stars coach Charles Akonnor following defeat to South Africa.

Akonnor’s side performed poorly and deservedly lost 1-0 against Bafana Bafana in the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying match played at the FNB Stadium on Monday evening.

Ahead of the match, Ghanaians expected a better showing after criticising the drab performance against Ethiopia despite the team winning last Friday.

But with a number of key players missing because of Covid-19 restrictions, the Black Stars were outplayed and were fortunate to concede just one goal.

South Africa despite dominating and creating the best chances scored in the 84th minute when Bongokuhle Hlongwane connected a low cross from close range to secure victory.

The defeat is a major setback in Ghana’s bid to return to the World Cup as they now sit a point behind new Group G leaders South Africa, and Ghanaians want Akonnor sacked.

‘Sack CK’ is among the top trends Twitter Ghana with over 1,100 tweets, all calling for the Akonnor to leave after just one and half years in charge of the senior national team. Akonnor replaced Kwasi Appiah who was relieved of his duties at the end of December 2019.

See some of the tweets below:

 

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Continue Reading

Sports

Meet Reza Parastesh, The Man Who Slept With 23 Women Just Because He Looked Just Like Lionel Messi

Published

on

Meet Reza Parastesh, The Man Who Slept With 23 Women Just Because He Looked Just Like Lionel Messi

Reza Parastesh is just your average, everyday 25-year-old guy, except for one little thing – he happens to look exactly like Lionel Messi

In 2017, Iranian man Reza Parastesh made headlines after impersonating former Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and sleeping with 23 women who thought he was real.

How did Reza Parstesh pull off such a ruse?

Remember Reza Parastesh, The Lionel Messi Lookalike? He Almost Ended Up In  Prison For Causing A Commotion On The Streets

His father once gave him a Barcelona shirt and asked him to pose with it. The end result was both fantastic and hilarious.

Because of their resemblance, Parastesh even cut his hair and grew his beard like the Barcelona captain, heightening his resemblance to Messi.

The photo quickly went viral, earning Parastesh the moniker “fake Messi.”

When interviewed by AFP in 2017, Parastesh stated that he wanted to be a carbon copy of Messi in every way. But, as Medio Tiempo put it, his fame grew as quickly as his beard (and, of course, Messi’s).

Nonetheless, he got in trouble with the Iranian police because he tried to impersonate Messi by using his resemblance to him.

Remember Reza Parastesh, The Lionel Messi Lookalike? He Almost Ended Up In  Prison For Causing A Commotion On The Streets

Despite his sense of humour, Parastesh has expressed his concern about the serious harassment he has faced as a result of this. In addition, he expressed a desire to meet the real Lionel Messi in the future.

Still, he believes his chances are slim, and he admits he doubts the Argentinian legend is aware of his existence.

Reza Parastesh is an Instagram celebrity who has over a million followers. His striking resemblance to Lionel Messi has made him an overnight star.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Continue Reading

Trending