Connect with us

Sports

Roman Abramovich: New Evidence Exposes His Corrupt Deals

Published

on

Roman Abramovich: New Evidence Exposes His Corrupt Deals

A BBC investigation has uncovered new evidence about the corrupt deals that made Roman Abramovich’s fortune.

The Chelsea owner made billions after buying an oil company from the Russian government in a rigged auction in 1995.

Mr Abramovich paid around $250m (£190m) for Sibneft, before selling it back to the Russian government for $13bn in 2005.

His lawyers say there is no basis for alleging he has amassed very substantial wealth through criminality.

The Russian billionaire was sanctioned by the UK government last week because of his links to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Mr Abramovich’s assets have been frozen and he has been disqualified as a director of Chelsea Football Club.

What do sanctions mean for Chelsea?
Who are the mega-rich Russians facing sanctions?

The Russian billionaire has already admitted in a UK court that he made corrupt payments to help get the Sibneft deal off the ground.

He was being sued in London by his former business associate Boris Berezovsky in 2012.

Mr Abramovich won the case, but he described in court how the original Sibneft auction was rigged in his favour and how he gave Mr Berezovsky $10m to pay off a Kremlin official.

BBC Panorama has obtained a document that is thought to have been smuggled out of Russia.

The information was given to the programme by a confidential source, who says it was secretly copied from files held on Mr Abramovich by Russian law enforcement agencies.

READ ALSO  Russia’s Invasion Of Ukraine Draws International Condemnation And Threats Of More Sanctions

The BBC cannot verify that, but checks with other sources in Russia have backed up many of the details in the five-page document.

The document says that the Russian government was cheated out of $2.7bn in the Sibneft deal – a claim supported by a 1997 Russian parliamentary investigation. The document also says that the Russian authorities wanted to charge Mr Abramovich with fraud.

It says: “The Dept. of Economic Crimes investigators came to the conclusion that if Abramovich could be brought to trial he would have faced accusations of fraud… by an organised criminal group.”

Roman Abramovich’s Dirty Money is on BBC One, Monday 14 March, at 20:00 GMT and on BBCiPlayer afterwards

Panorama tracked down Russia’s former chief prosecutor, who investigated the deal in the 1990s.

Yuri Skuratov did not know about the secret document, but he independently confirmed many of the details about the Sibneft sale.

Mr Skuratov told the programme: “Basically, it was a fraudulent scheme, where those who took part in the privatisation formed one criminal group that allowed Abramovich and Berezovsky to trick the government and not pay the money that this company was really worth.”

The document also suggests Mr Abramovich was protected by former Russian President Boris Yeltsin.

It says law enforcement files on Mr Abramovich were moved to the Kremlin and that an investigation by Mr Skuratov was stopped by the president.

The document says: “Skuratov was preparing a criminal case for the confiscation of Sibneft on the basis of the investigation of its privatisation. The investigation was stopped by President Yeltsin … Skuratov was dismissed from his office.”

READ ALSO  Super Clash: Both Kotoko And Hearts Coaches Are Under Pressure – Sam Johnson

Mr Skuratov was sacked after the release of a sex tape in 1999. He says it was a stitch-up to discredit him and his investigation.

He said: “This whole thing was obviously political, because in my investigations I came very close to the family of Boris Yeltsin, including via this investigation of the Sibneft privatisation.”

Mr Abramovich remained in the Kremlin inner circle when Vladimir Putin came to power in 2000.

The document contains details of another rigged auction two years later, involving a Russian oil company called Slavneft.

Mr Abramovich formed a partnership with another firm to buy Slavneft, but a rival Chinese company was planning to bid almost twice as much.

Many powerful people – from the Kremlin to the Russian parliament – would have stood to lose out if the Chinese won the auction

The document says that a member of the Chinese delegation was kidnapped when they arrived in Moscow for the auction.

“CNPC, Chinese company, a very strong competitor, had to withdraw from the auction after one of its representatives was kidnapped upon arrival at Moscow Airport and was released only after the company declared its withdrawal.”

The kidnapping story is backed up by independent sources who did not know about the document.

Vladimir Milov was Russia’s deputy energy minister in the run up to the Slavneft sale. He didn’t comment on the kidnapping story, but he said senior political figures had already decided that Mr Abramovich’s partnership would win the auction.

READ ALSO  World Cup Winner, Ransford Osei Retires From Football At Age 30

“I said, look, the Chinese want to come in and they want to pay a much bigger price. They say it doesn’t matter, shut up, none of your business. It’s already decided. Slavneft goes to Abramovich, the price is agreed. The Chinese will be dragged out somehow.”

There is no suggestion that Mr Abramovich knew anything about the kidnapping plot, or played any part in it.

His lawyers told the BBC the kidnap claim “is entirely unsubstantiated” and he has “no knowledge of such incident”.

Different factions had been fighting for control of Slavneft and there was widespread opposition to the Chinese bid.

Whatever the reason for the Chinese withdrawal, Mr Abramovich’s partnership had the only bid left on the table. And they bought Slavneft at a knockdown price.

Mr Abramovich’s lawyers say allegations of corruption in the Slavneft and Sibneft deals are false, and he denies he was protected by Mr Yeltsin.

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Click to comment

Leave a Comment

Sports

Ex-GFA Boss, Kwesi Nyantakyi Reacts To Dede Ayew’s ‘Senior’ Players Comment

Published

on

Ex-GFA Boss, Kwesi Nyantakyi Reacts To Dede Ayew’s ‘Senior’ Players Comment

Former Ghana Football Association president, Kwesi Nyantakyi, has stated that Black Stars captain Dede Ayew only expressed his opinion on senior players being selected for Ghana’s final World Cup squad.

According to Nyantakyi, who makes the squad is a decision made by the head coach, and Dede Ayew’s opinion has no bearing on that.

Nyantakyi explained to Kings TV that Ayew’s comment was not definitive because he used the word “may.”

“The coach has the final decision. What Dede Ayew said was just his opinion and it doesn’t mean that is what the coach will do. Because he(Dede) is not a coach. Even with what he said, he used ‘may’,” he said.

READ ALSO  2021 AFCON Semi-Final Preview: Big Showdown as Cameroon Battle Egypt Today

” He(Dede) said the senior players ‘may’ be able to earn the coach’s selection. But it doesn’t mean it is automatic because there have been instances where senior players were dropped for younger players, while younger players have also been dropped for senior players. So, it all depends on the strategy of the coach. We don’t select players based on age or experience only, but the player’s performance in totality, that is what the coach will consider,” he added.

READ ALSO  (Video) Kyiv Television Tower Bombed By Russian Troops

Dede Ayew, in a previous interview with the Daily Graphic, stated that the current senior players in the squad may have an advantage when it comes to selection into the team for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Dede Ayew said that selection into the team is based solely on merit and that no one is guaranteed a place in the team.

“The newcomers are talented, but we already have a strong team that qualified for the World Cup, so every position is competitive. Apart from senior players who may have an advantage, I believe no one is guaranteed a place in the squad just yet”.

READ ALSO  Inter Allies FC share points With Ashgold SC After 1-1 Draw

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Continue Reading

Sports

Big Blow As Popular Black Stars Player Retires From Football Ahead of World Cup

Published

on

Big Blow As Popular Black Stars Player Retires From Football Ahead of World Cup

Former Black Stars regular, Kwadwo Asamoah who once played for Juventus has finally retired from playing football.

The midfielder who could also play as a left-wing-back is hanging his boots after playing at the top level for more than a decade.After a meeting with his agent Pastorello following the decision to retire, Kwadwo Asamoah took to social media to post, “Amazing time. Always a pleasure working with you Federico Pastorello.”
READ ALSO  Full Text In English: Vladimir Putin’s Address On Russia’s Invasion Of Ukraine

The football agent in a post of his own wished the Ghanaian the best of luck in his next adventure as a football agent.

“Always the same amazing boy Kwadwo Asamoah!!! Good luck

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Continue Reading

Sports

Ajax Want To Qualify From The Group Stage – Mohammed Kudus

Published

on

Ajax Want To Qualify From The Group Stage – Mohammed Kudus

Ajax midfielder, Mohammed Kudus, says the target for his side is to make it past the group stage of the UEFA Champions League this season.

Ajax started the 2022/23 season well, beating Rangers with a 3-0 scoreline in their opening game before losing to Liverpool in the second game.

The Eredivisie side current sits second in the group with three points, three behind Napoli who are top of the group after wins in their opening two games.

READ ALSO  Chelsea Star, Callum Hudson-Odoi Visits Ghana After Champions League Trophy - VIDEO

But Kudus, who has scored in both games so far in the competition believes despite a good start, Ajax need to do more and qualify from Group A.

“We are not done yet, it’s a long way to go,” he told Ajax’s media team.

“Most importantly is about getting the three points and getting out of the group stage, so that is the team’s goal and when that happens, the individual stuff will come naturally so the target is to get out of the group stage for now.”

READ ALSO  Roman Abramovich Begs His Friends To Lend Him $1M To Pay Chelsea FC Staff

With two goals in two games, the 22-year-old will look to continue that run when Ajax play host to Napoli in Tuesday’s fixture.

According to him, the Champions League is one of two competitions that every kid dreams to be involved in.

“Champions League and World Cup I think are the two biggest competitions we all dreamed about playing so it’s a dream come true but also having an impact and then trying to help the team,” he added.

READ ALSO  Ghana Premier League 2021/22: Week 12 Match Preview - Accra Lions vs WAFA

“I had a good start but I have more to show as well.”

Source: www.GhanaCNN.com

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: